Anyone who wants to get started on the right track when writing an EPSRC proposal: understanding the twists and turns of the funding process will save you time and energy down the road.
"Je-S? JoR? National importance? Theme? LoS? Project partner? Academic collaborator? Siebel? Going to panel? Funding meeting? PTI? Oh, wait, that's not required any more ..."
The peer review process at the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) can sometimes feel like a maze. And it's no wonder: there is a lot of information to consider each step of the way, and a lot of misinformation has been handed down over the years. It can be challenging to know which way to turn.
The Demystifying EPSRC Peer Review course was developed to provide a behind-the-scenes map for researchers: see who does what at EPSRC, learn potential pitfalls to watch out for, and explore what happens after a proposal is submitted for a new investigator award, standard mode grant, or fellowship proposal.
Throughout the journey, we will also tackle the most common myths so that incorrect assumptions and mistaken beliefs can be avoided, and your proposal can start from a solid foundation of clarity and understanding.
THIS COURSE ENABLES PARTICIPANTS TO:
Demystifying EPSRC Peer Review does not cover how to write a proposal, although general proposal tips are provided in Module 3.
Dr Elaine Massung has worked in higher education for over a decade, carrying out a variety of roles: post-doctoral research assistant, Continuing Education administrator and instructor, copy editor and proofreader, and portfolio manager at the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council.
She started Blue Eagle Academic Services to help students, researchers, and academics navigate the funding process and get a fresh perspective on their written work.
Frequently Asked Questions
Hear from previous participants of the Demystifying EPSRC Peer Review course:
- The course was extremely well received by our academic community as it shed light on a reviewing process that can often be perceived as daunting and opaque. The course provided invaluable advice on how to construct a successful proposal, including advice on how to avoid the most common pitfalls of grant applications. The feedback from our members of staff was overwhelmingly positive!
- It is great to know about the actual EPSRC funding process.
- I think it was a well-structured and organised session. The tone was nice and informal.
- Professionalism and energy of workshop lead – very informative but not overwhelmed by information – very well thought out and prepared – excellent material provided.
- See what clients say about Blue Eagle Academic Services